Hello guys, and happy Saturday! The time has come for our new interview in “Why Vegan?“.
They both gave really nice information and very good vegan recipes, so it’s worth spending some time on reading them by clicking on the links on top.
Today’s guest is Saskia Swanson @voilasassi! Her photography is great and her recipes are really creative and they all look very tasty. Make sure that you follow her on Instagram.
I will now show you what she had to say about “Why Vegan?”
When did you become vegan and what made you do it?
I became vegan about 2,5 years ago because my gallbladder was irritated and inflamed. The doctor wanted to remove it but I wanted to keep my gallbladder since it is an important organ and has a reason for being in my body.
He then told me, I would have to stop eating animal fats and also be careful with my fat intake in general. That was my call back then and now I am doing it for way more reasons than just my own health. I also do it for the planet, the animals etc. It has been the best decision of my life (after having kids of course)
How did this change you – physically and mentally?
I used to be in a lot of pain and aches daily. My bones, muscles and everything was kind of hurting. The doctors did not know what was wrong and put the diagnose fibromyalgia into the room (which has by the way never really been tested).
After a few months of being vegan, I could feel such a huge difference and mostly all pain has been gone since then. As far as it comes to mentally, it changed my whole perspective of life and turned me into a much more caring, loving human being. It taught me what truly matters and how every decision we make, affects not only our own life but also this planet.
What is your advice to the new vegans?
My advice to new vegans is : You can’t change your whole lifestyle and diet and expect everything to taste the same! There will be things tasting differently and you will come across food that you have never heard of before but that will change after a few months. Look for people that are on the same road as you are or even the ones that are a bit ahead of you, so you can follow their advice and get a little help if needed.
Check your reasons for going vegan! If you do it because everybody is doing it and it has been becoming a trend, you will most likely not be able to make it long. If you are aware of the major changes it will make for you healthwise, that you save animals with every time you don’t consume dairy or meat and you contribute to a peaceful and loving future for your kids, you will have a lot more strength to put up with all the difficulties (for example your family making fun of you or discussions with friends).
The recipe that she wants to share with you guys is for Vegan Pasta Salad with Basil-Cashew Cream.
- 350g gluten free pasta
- 300g fresh basil
- 100g pine nuts
- 150g cashews, soaked in water for at least 3 hours
- 3 cloves of garlic olive oil to cover them
- 80ml water
- 10-12 sun dried tomatoes in oil ( one glass should work)
- salt and pepper to season
- Step 1 Bring water to a boil and cook noodles and preheat oven to 200 C.
- Step 2 Meanwhile peel garlic and put the cloves in a small baking dish, covering it up with olive oil.
- Step 3 Roast garlic cloves in the oven until they are golden (takes about 10-15 min but you need to check on it from time to time because every oven is a bit different)
- Step 4 While garlic is roasting, heat up a pan on high heat and add pine nuts. Roast until slightly golden. Set aside.
- Step 5 Once garlic is ready, add it together with the olive oil to a highspeed blender together with the cashews, basil and water.
- Step 6 Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Step 7 Pour basil-cashew sauce to a big bowl and add noodles and all other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with more basil and cashew parmesan
I hope that you got some more useful information from another very good point of view and the idea of veganism is becoming more clear to you. Our goal is to show you that there is nothing bad in that – it’s even good. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, and of course there’s nothing to show off with. Let’s do good together!
Thank you for being with us today, enjoy your weekend and we’ll be back soon!