- 6 large free-range egg yolks
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 500g (1lb 2oz) mascarpone
- ½tsp vanilla essence
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 1 x 175g pack sponge fingers
- 200ml (7fl oz) strong black coffee or espresso if you have it
- 4tbsp Kahlua or Tia Maria, stirred into the coffee
you will need:
- 22 x 22 x 3cm (9 x 9 x 1¼in) serving dish
- Using an electric beater, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is very pale, very thick and leaves a trail from the mixer when lifted. Whisk in the mascarpone and vanilla until the mixture is well combined. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Lay half the sponge fingers in the bottom of the serving dish as evenly as possible, and pour over the coffee and alcohol mixture. Repeat the layers with the rest of the fingers.
- Cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge to set for at least 8 hours. To serve, dust with cocoa powder and cut into squares.