Some of you celebrating, some working… wherever you are, whatever you are doing – thanks for stopping by to our post. You are very lucky at exactly this moment, because you have just accessed the recipe for our delicious lentils bolognese served on top of some golden creamy porcini polenta…..
Brief history of polenta
Polenta is a dish of boiled cornmeal that was historically made from other grains. You can serve it as a hot porridge, or it may be allowed to cool and solidify into a loaf that can be baked, fried, or grilled. The dish is associated with Northern and Central Italy, Savoy in France, Switzerland, and Romania. It is also common in Brazilian regions that received Italian immigrants.
As it is known today, polenta derives from earlier forms of grain mush (known as puls or pulmentum in Latin) that were commonly eaten since Roman times. Before the introduction of corn (maize) from America in the 16th century, polenta was made from starchy ingredients like farro (wheat), chestnut flour, millet, spelt (wheat), and chickpeas.
Some facts about lentils
They are believed to have originated in central Asia.
Lentils have been eaten by humans since Neolithic times and were one of the first domesticated crops.
In the Middle East, lentil seeds have been found dating back more than 8000 years.
The Greek playwright Aristophanes called lentil soup the “sweetest of delicacies.”
In India, the lentil is known as dal or daal.
If you want to see some other interesting facts about lentils click here.
We combined the beautiful polenta with a favorite sauce today. The lentils bolognese is INSANE! This is seriously delicious! We never did it before – but will surely do it again soon.
When you combine two beautiful foods with so much Italian character the result is only one – AMAZING!
This recipe takes time and it’s a good dinner idea. You need around 1 hour and 15 minutes to do it – totally worth it! All products are super natural and tasty. We are not asking for any specials skills from you – only a bit of patience and a good company to share it with.
And here’s the recipe guys.
- For the lentils bolognese you will need:
- 100 gr of green lentils
- 1 large sliced carrot
- ½ red chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200 gr chopped cherry tomatoes
- 20 gr tomato puree
- 20 ml of maple syrup
- 2 l water
- vegetable oil
- For the creamy polenta:
- 150 gr of polenta
- salt, pepper, dry porcini mushrooms, oregano
- 700 ml water
- salt, pepper, paprika powder, basil
- Start off with the lentils bolognese
- In a big pot start by frying the onions and garlic in some olive oil, until transparent, for about 3-5 minutes
- Add the carrots and cook for another 3 minutes
- Now you can add the tomato puree, the chopped tomatoes, the water and all the spices
- Let it cook for about 45 minutes, simmering on a low heat
- For the polenta:
- Mix all the ingredients together and cook for at least 10 minutes on a low heat, stirring almost all of the time
- Serve when everything is still hot and sprinkle with some parsley - Enjoy!
We really hope that you enjoyed what you just saw – see you soon guys! Have a good day 🙂