Hello there! How is everyone?
Winter is not a salad season – but they still make it to our menus. Warm salads are a very good choice for lunch on a cold day.
Our salad today is with roasted aubergines, rainbow tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil, baby spinach, roasted pine nuts and balsamic vinegar. It’s awesome!
If you are one of our regular readers you would already know that we love aubergines. And if you are not, just have a look at these – avocado on toast with aubergine “bacon” and our vegan burger. They go really well with pretty much any other vegetable.
Cooking them is quite easy – the way I like them is grilled. It takes about 5-6 minutes each side.
Here’s the ingredients and the recipe.
- 1 aubergine
- a handful of rainbow tomatoes
- 10 gr of toasted pine nuts
- 3 sun dried tomatoes
- a dash of balsamic vinegar
- 10-15 leafs of baby spinach
- few leafs of fresh basil for a nice final touch
- Cut the aubergines, season them with salt and pepper and grill them on a pan for 5-6 minutes each
- Cut the rainbow tomatoes in half and the sun dried tomatoes into small pieces
- Arrange the salad starting with the aubergine - top it with the tomatoes and fresh basil and spinach leafs
- Go around the plate with a dash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts
Aubergines are an excellent source of dietary fibre. They are also a good source of vitamins B1 and B6 and potassium. In addition it is high in the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese.
t is often recommended to tenderise aubergines and to reduce the bitter taste by salting it. After cutting the aubergine into the desired shape, sprinkle it with salt and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes. This process pulls out some of the aubergine’s water content and along with it some of the bitter components. Thanks BBC Good Food for the info.
What is your favorite winter salad?
Thanks for being with us again – see you soon!