No matter how many recalls, no matter how many times you read that it’s the lamest in terms of nutrition, you just can’t quit peanut butter. That delicious bitch has got a hold on you and your family, and there’s nothing you can do to untangle yourself from her creamy, soothing grasp. But how well do you know this mistress living in the cupboard? Here are 8 fun facts about peanut butter that you never, ever knew. Probably.
1. The average American adult eats about 3 pounds of the stuff every year. The average single woman blogger on a budget eats about 3 pounds a week while standing over the sink.
2. If you put all the peanut butter Americans eat annually into the Grand Canyon, it would FILL IT UP.
3. The average American kid will eat about 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before heading off to college. So say they started eating the sandwich at 4 years old and leave the house at 18 … they’re estimating that kids will eat two PB&Js a week for 14 years.
4. Over 540 peanuts are needed to make one 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
5. Men prefer chunky peanut butter; women and children prefer smooth. Go figure?
6. Ancient Incans used peanuts for sacrificial ceremonies and religious rites. They knew the value of this scrumptious legume, obviously.
7. Peanuts have even traveled to the moon! Astronauts have carried peanut butter “space sticks” on their missions.
8. Jimmy Carter, former President of The United States, was a peanut farmer!
9. 800 million pounds of peanut butter are purchased EACH YEAR!