1. A potato is about 80% water and 20% solid.
2. Henry Spalding first planted potatoes in Idaho in 1837
3. “French Fries” were introduced to America when Thomas Jefferson served them at a Whitehouse dinner.
4. United States potato lovers consumed more than 4 million tons of French Fries in various shapes and sizes.
5. Potatoes are a powerful aphrodisiac, says a physician in Ireland.
6. The average American eats 140 pounds of potatoes per year. Germans eat more than 200
pounds per year.
7. The largest potato grown was 18 pounds and 4 ounces according to the Guinness Book of
World Records. It was grown in England in 1795.
8. Potatoes are the world’s fourth food staple – after wheat, corn and rice.
9. Potatoes are grown in more than 125 countries.
10. Every year enough potatoes are grown worldwide to cover a four-lane motorway circling the world six times.
11. China is the world’s largest potato producer.
12. Potatoes were the first vegetable grown in space.
13. Potatoes are totally gluten-free.
And don’t forget to like our Facebook page!